fbpx

Man Dies After Being Bitten by Eastern Brown Snake

Brown Snake Death

Townsville Man Dies After Being Bitten by Eastern Brown Snake at Childcare Centre

Jerromy Brookes, a 47-year-old father from Deeragun, Townsville, has tragically died after being bitten multiple times by an eastern brown snake, one of the world’s most venomous creatures. The incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon when Brookes attempted to remove the snake from a busy childcare centre in suburban North Queensland.

Heroic Act Turns Fatal

According to reports, Brookes was called to the childcare centre by a relative to remove the snake, despite not being a qualified snake catcher. He successfully captured the snake and placed it in a bag before driving home. However, during the process, he was bitten multiple times on his left hand and arm.

Upon arriving home, Brookes informed his wife of the incident. She promptly wrapped and immobilised his arm, following the correct first aid procedures for snake bites. Unfortunately, Brookes’ condition rapidly deteriorated, and he went into cardiac arrest.

Emergency Response and Tragic Outcome

Queensland Ambulance Services (QAS) were called to the scene at around 3:30 pm. Paramedics found Brookes in critical condition and immediately began resuscitation efforts. He was then rushed to the Townsville University Hospital, but despite the best efforts of medical staff, he could not be saved and was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

Acting District Director of QAS in Townsville, Paula Marten, commended Brookes’ wife for her quick thinking and application of the correct first aid measures. She emphasised the importance of treating all snakes as venomous and remaining calm in such situations.

The Danger of Eastern Brown Snake Venom

Eastern brown snakes are highly venomous and typically inhabit grasslands and eucalyptus forests. According to Timothy Jackson, an evolutionary toxinologist at the Melbourne University Australian Venom Research Unit, their venom contains a mixture of toxins that can disrupt the body’s clotting cascade at an elevated rate while simultaneously damaging blood vessels and impacting blood pressure.

This combination of effects can lead to a rapid cardiovascular collapse, sometimes within just 30 minutes of the bite. Jackson stressed the importance of calling emergency services immediately after a snake bite, applying a pressure immobilisation bandage, and trying to remain still to slow the spread of venom.

A Tragic Loss for the Community

The death of Jerromy Brookes has sent shockwaves through the Townsville community. His heroic actions in removing the snake from the childcare centre undoubtedly saved lives, but ultimately cost him his own.

This tragic incident serves as a sobering reminder of the dangers posed by Australia’s venomous snakes and the importance of proper snake bite first aid knowledge. It also highlights the need for caution and the engagement of professional snake catchers when dealing with these dangerous reptiles.

The thoughts and condolences of the community go out to Brookes’ family and loved ones during this difficult time.

error: